Like everyone else, we’re affected by the measures taken to reduce the impact of Conoravirus.
We’ve taken the decision to make changes to the Connected York app, and offer the app to ALL businesses free of charge for the next few months.
1. THE BLOODY TOUR OF YORK (Winter tours Thursdays & Saturdays) Let Mad Alice be your guide, wandering through the snickleways and backstreets of the city discovering its gruesome past. One of the best tours in York, highly entertaining – Mad Alice will keep youspellbound – suitable for all ages too! 👻
2. INVISIBLE TOURS OF YORK tourism making a difference. These tours are run by people affected by homelessness. The guides, each with their own experiences of the city, have shaped and created fun, interactive and informative tours for you to experience York from a different perspective. There is a Family Fun Tour (Sat & Sun), York’s Railway Heritage Tour (Weds & Thurs) and the Story of Guy Fawkes Tour (Mon & Tues). So much to discover while helping provide employment and support to those affected by homelessness. Check out the full tour details on the Connected York app!
3. OUSE CRUISE – City Cruises York. Get a different view of the city and hear about York’s history of flooding and what the river was used for in times gone by. There’s plenty of different cruises to choose from too – enjoy afternoon tea, evening dinner cruises or even a party night cruise! Plenty to see whilst you sit back and relax on board to cruise the Ouse.
4. YORK ICE TRAIL – (Feb 1st & 2nd) We’re really excited for this one – it’s a fab day out with the kids. 40 sculptures of ice dotted around the city for you to discover, each one with it’s own theme. Pick up a map from the Visit York Visitor Centre and follow the complete trail all around the city.
5. YORK CAT TRAIL – This is another one that’s great for the kids – and it’s free! There are little cat statues hidden all over the city, Clifford’s Tower, The Shambles and the Minster. Download the trail from The Cat Gallery and get the kids searching for those little kittys.
Enjoy discovering York with these tours, you’ll have so much fun! Find out more things to discover and offers from local businesses on the #connectedyork (free) app!
There are hundreds of reasons why you should come and wander the cobbled and history filled streets of York but we thought we’d share some gems that really have to be discovered when you visit our magical city; these are in no order of preference!
1. Veganuary your thing? then look no further, York has some fabulous vegan eateries you just have to visit; Fancy Hank’s Bar & Kitchen for a mouth watering vegan breakfast Shori york for the best vegan ramen and bao ever! or give Source a try with their extensive vegan menu including Shakshuka, Tacos and hot dogs!
2. Whether you’re committing to dry January or you’d rather fuel your January with an alcoholic beverage York has you covered! try the micklegate SOCIAL or the fossgate SOCIAL to fuel your love of coffee or a beer in the most relaxed and comforting surroundings – you will want to stay for more than one drink we guarantee!
3. Sustainable shopping – if this was your new years resolution then head down to these little gems Expressions clothing has an array of vintage pieces to kit you out in style – be sure to have a chat with owner Chris too he’s ace! HELSTON STREET on the famous bishy road is full of the most beautiful unique homewares and dried flowers all hand chosen by owners Lucy and her mum. A complete must visit is Botanic not only to fill your home with greenery but you will escape into Yorks only urban jungle and emerge feeling refreshed and revived like you’ve had a little holiday (with armfuls of plants too!).
4. According to Mcgee with a view to die for of Clifford’s Tower and views inside to excite your eyeballs and delight your mind – this little gallery is filled with wonders – always something new to browse and purchase should you so wish to take a little memento home with you!
5. …and if you fancied treating yourself to a little self love this January then head for Lanamiché for a rejuvinating facial or massage or book in The Cookery School at The Grand, York, York’s only 5 Star hotel where you can learn to cook something ultra special just for you!
So there you have it our little guide to January in York – with love from Connected York .